Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Lois and Alice, Felix and Floyd


I never really knew them
they faded or died from the time I was young
gray haired and palsied liver-spotted old men
faces on walls where the pictures were hung

their children lit out for parts undiscovered
rockets shot upward in search of the sky
exceeded in distance, memories covered
branches will grow though the trunk has expired

The apple won't fall very far from the tree  
contained in the flower, released in the seed
you witness their legacy looking at me
for better or worse, for giving, for greed

the way that I set the bottle on the fridge
the ridge of baldness on the side of my head
you don't need to show me or pass on the knowledge
I'll keep their continuance 'til I too am dead

but the blood of their struggles still flows though my veins
an unbroken link, the beginning of time
handcart to horse cart, buses, airplanes
I can't even say what was theirs and what's mine

So I eat at the table my mother was given
I walk on the road that my father laid down
there's no recipe for the dinner of living
no map to show you the way into town

all of us end but it all keeps on going
fruit to be taken, thorns to avoid
what will it come to?  there's no way of knowing
Lois and Alice, Felix and Floyd


M@2010



No comments:

Post a Comment